Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dhobi Ghat - Modern art


"Is it another 3 idiots?"... Definitely not. This is 180 degree opposite to 3idiots.

"Ok.. Movie name is a place in Mumbai.. So is it a movie about that place? Something like slumdog millionaire???"... No no no.. There are only very few scenes taken In Dhobi ghat.

"Fine... Is it at least an emotional movie, hmmmmm... say like Black?" No.. There are not much emotions in this movie.. Even those small emotions are not expressed strongly. Emotions are left to audience for themselves to feel about it.

This is a movie about 4 characters. No good/bad/interesting.....No adjective to the characters.. They are just characters in their real form. Nothing cinematic..

"Nothing cinematic?? Then why should I go for a cinema?".. If you are a person who ask this question, then it is definitely not a movie for you. This movie is for people who are open minded to observe characters shown on screen..

I don't have reference to any Hindi/English movies in similar line since I don't see many of them. But I can definitely give reference to Tamizh movies of the same type.. If you are a person who love Mahendran/Balu Mahendra movies, you will definitely like this movie.

I am not going to elaborate about cast. All have given what is exactly needed for this movie.

Instead of exaggerating the slums or the tall buildings in Mumbai, this movie displayed Mumbai as it is. Showing things 'as it is' definitely needs brilliance. Cinematographer Tushar Kanti Ray is brilliant!

According to me, a person who needs a special mention is composer Gustavo Santaolalla. Man! Background score was so pleasant to hear. It added lot of value to the movie. I am desperately in need of the BGM of the movie. Some one please help me get it.

Director Kiran Rao was very sure what she wanted to present and she has done that perfectly. As she said in a recent press report "This is an unusual film and not for everyone's taste, which was expected. I am glad that that the audience I made the film for are liking it", this movie is not for those who wanted to have a galla time in theatre. Madam, I am in the list of people who like the movie.

What I liked a lot about this movie is that 40% dialogues are in English. So I needed help of translator only for 60% of movie ;) I wish I see the movie with sub titles one more time.

As said in my review title, Dhobi ghat is a modern art. If you try to make sense out of it, you may end up finding it or may get lost in the search but it always looks nice to see for aesthetic eyes.



5 comments:

  1. Translator was sitting next to you :-) at least for some portion

    This movie is in different category.

    Brilliant to see directors venturing into such an attempt in the first movie itself.

    Hats off Kiran waiting for your next movie, please do not get into "commercial zone"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boss, Mandhira punnagai review ?? ?? Where ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Palanu... I don't review movies which I didn't see in theatre. Mandhira Punnagai is such a good movie but was not in theatres ater a week in Hosur/Bangalore. I missed seeing that movie in theatre :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. @karthik.R > Thanks na...
    Dont miss to watch NADUNISI NAAIGAL in theatre...
    Nice Thriller flim but too much of xxx scene which is hate one..
    i'm sure,
    This movie is in different category.
    Hats off Goutham Vasudev menon..
    Little bit of warning to modern girls..

    ReplyDelete