Sunday, February 21, 2010

Leader - Undue Hype

Sekhar Kammula is a director with fresh thoughts. His happy days is a standing example for that. There had been many college based movies. But there had never been such a feel good college movie like 'Happy Days'. I can see that movie any number of times

I am hearing 'Ma Telugu Thalliki' while typing this post. Such a wonderful song. Surya Kumari, What a voice! Soothing and majestic as well!

Why am I telling all these while writing 'Leader' review? I should make clear that I am neither anti Sekhar Kammula nor anti-telugu.

After seeing status messages and tweets from my Andhra friends like 'Leader-Inspirational', 'Sekhar Kammula Proved again that he is the best director' etc., I could not stop myself from seeing that movie.

Got black ticket (later realised that tickets were available in counter) and had a not so entertaining 3 hrs. Seriously, I can't understand why such a hype is given to this movie?

This could be a first movie of its kind in Telugu (I may be wrong). But we Tamil audience had been seeing this stuff starting from 80s. Balachander's Achamillai Achamillai showed how a good can turn bad in politics. Maniratnam's Ayutha Ezhuthu showed the participation of youngsters in politics and the difficulties they had to face. Director Shankar had become expert in this area Mudhalvan being the best example I could give now.

Having seen all those movies, I couldn't find anything special in Leader. First half was comparatively OK with some interesting scenes. But the 2nd half was boring to the core.

The last 5 mins of the movie had the scope of extending for an hour. Then why these unwanted romantic scenes which no way fitted in the movie? Oh pls don't start explaining me the story that it was to gain support of his father. 1 hr to convey that message, eh?

During 2nd half 'The Leader' was terribly confused. 1 lakh crores collection, Romance, Govt stability. Even we were confused and tired. Suddenly, in the last 5 mins, all say "He is the Leader". All media people salute. I started lauging.

The movie lost its path in the middle. The hero who was projected as an intelligent youngster initially became a tall dumb guy very soon. Tell me one scene in 2nd half which showed the intelligence of 'The Leader'. He was standing pathetic, don't know what to do.

Rana Daggubati was not the typical face which we imagine for The Leader. After seeing the poster, I thought, the director was trying out something new. But after seeing the movie, I would say, it was a wrong decision to have chosen this debutant. This is where Sekhar has to learn from Shankar. Hero matters man!


Miki J Meyer is a composer who gives lot of importance to feel. Even this movie songs are good, the 'Maa Telugu' remix being my favorite,  but no way near Happy days songs.

So whats the final comment? It is a good take by Sekhar Kammula. A story which is all time favorite and at the same time very sensitive to handle. But If he had made it even more interesting and shortened the boring romance, it would have been a really inspirational movie and even I would have told that Sekhar had proved again.

Leader was a disappointment to a person like me who went with lot of expectations.

One request to remake fools of Tamilnadu. Please don't trouble us by remaking this movie in Tamil and most importantly don't make Vijay act in it troubling us even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment